Thought...

"Something I can give to you, but still keep- My Word."

and...

"You can't shake hands with a clenched fist"

Monday, February 11, 2008

Dallas, Texas

A more accurate title might be: The inside of a hotel in Dallas. So last week I made my way, for the first time, to the LoneStar state. Very flat- my first impression. In truth, I did want to go spend some time seeing some of the cool things in Dallas, but I was there for a business meeting.

One of the coolest things to me, was seeing the place where JFK was assasinated. I sat at "the grassy knoll" and near the "book depository" and I couldn't help but feel the history of the place. Everyone knows the scene I am refferring to. JFK riding next to his wife Jaquelyn in the back of the convertible. It was very strange, as I said, I could "feel" the history of the place. It was a simple street, a simple piece of grass and a simple building. History.

Besides the JFK impression, we did many other fun things. (I won't bore you with the work portion) We had Scott Bloom (a comedian from VH1) come perform and entertain us. He was hillarious! He did a polyglot bit and also a pyschic act. Very very funny. Scott, "I feel connected with you, tell me, what is the name of the 15th century Japanese poet I am thinking of?" The lady's reply, "I don't know!" Scott, "Did you just say Yamagishi Idohknow? That's exactly who I was thinking of, amazing." It was so funny, it was very spur of the moment.

We also had a juggling act come and perform for us. "The passing act" They have won several TV competitions and are known worldwide. They were also very funny and very talented. The most amazing thing they did was, now picture this in your mind: One guy standing on the other guy's shoulders, balancing, then that guy standing on a board, that was balancing on a ball, and then they juggled swords to eachother. It was absolutely crazy. They only did that one for like 15 seconds, but still, insane. The funniest part was, they did that whilst wearing blindfolds, now they didn't have the blindfolds over their eyes, but they were wearing them...LOL around their necks. LOL. It was really cool.

Another cool thing was a "team building" event that we had. We were all (1150) brought into a room and told that we were going to build bikes. We were like okay... So then we broke into groups of five and starting building our bikes from these lil kits. When we finished, they said, everyone close their eyes and they brought in 225 eight year old orphans. At this point, we all figured out what was going on. Then the kids came to each group and gave us all a thank you card and picked up the bikes. People were crying and so happy and it was really cool. It was all about serving others. For some ppl, (out of our church) this was their first time serving anyone, maybe ever. My company paid for all of it. I work for a great company. We also went to "The House of Blues" and had Jim Bilushi perform live for us. He was really good. Quite the entertainer. Anyhow, I thought I'd just share some of the fun things that I did, while in the Republic of Texas.
-Dan

2 comments:

Em Russ said...

What a great story about the bikes! Thanks for sharing Dan!

Rindi said...

Dan, that sounds really fun. Now I feel really bad for Katie!! Greg told me that his trip wasn't a vacation, it was hard work. After hearing your story, it sounds pretty much like you were having a great time. I'm glad Katie got to go and have a massage when you got home!! Oh, a business trip sounds nice right now.