Thought...

"Something I can give to you, but still keep- My Word."

and...

"You can't shake hands with a clenched fist"

Saturday, February 2, 2008

A few thoughts.

First of all, I can't believe that it is already February. Time is going by so fast it seems. Stalee, on her blog noted that her lil girl Kamree is growing up so fast, she is five now! My little Lizzie is a little jitterbug of acitvity. She, also, is growing up too fast. I can't believe my baby is walking and talking. The twins are almost 4!!! I thought they would never come and now they are almost 4.

Speaking on this topic, I am 30 years old. I am a young man. Last Sunday I was put into my second Bishopric. I am again the second counselor, (which I love). I was only in the previous Bishopric for 5 months, then we got a new Bishop and therefore Bishopric. While I am grateful not to be the Bishop. I am also very grateful to be called as one of his counselors. I love to serve the members of our ward and I am greateful for the trust that I have been given. I try to use each one of my talents in a way that would make the Lord pleased with me.

Today, I watched President Hinckley's Funeral. He died a week ago tomorrow. He was 97. I know that I have already posted some info regarding this, but I wanted to add just a few tidbits of information that I gleaned from the speakers today.
  • Temples grew from 47 to 135 -working or under construction. Amazing!!!
  • The church donated over $600 Million dollars in humanitarian aid Worldwide
  • The Perpetual Education Fund was started and continues
  • We received the "Proclamation to the Family"
  • 1/3 of the current 13 Million members became such while he was President
  • Over 600,000 missionaries have served during his tenure
  • He was married for over 62 years.
  • He gave us the state of the art, 21,000 seat Church Convention Center
  • He received the "Medal of Freedom" our nations highest civic award
  • All of this, while Gordon B. Hinckley as President of the Church

But most importantly, he gave us vision, enthusiasm, strength, service, compassion and his testimony that the Savior lives! I am greatful for his example and life. He was a humble man. Thank you President Hinckley for your 97 years of service and dedication. You have inspired us all.

Dan

3 comments:

stalee said...

The last part of his funeral they did a little slide show of his life and it really got me. I have never met him and yet I feel I lost some very close friend. I love him and will always be thankful that I was alive when he was prophet.

Eardley Family said...

Well said Dan. I was very touched Saturday.

Rindi said...

That was beautifully written, Dan. Good job. I agree 100 %. I love Pres. Hinckley. Someone said, "In loving memory, we'll all be standing a little taller." Awesome! I miss you guys.